History of BCS
It all began on the Christmas Eve in 1964 where a group of six Baptist families gathered at the house of Sri. S. Prakasam, Sanathnagar to worship God.
- Dr. S. Prakasham,
- Mr. M. J. Aaron
- Mr. Peter Sarella
- Mr. V. Immanuel
- Mr.Ch. Devanandam
- Mr. S. Christopher
Soon, the place of worship and fellowship moved to the house of Mr. M. J. Aaron (S.R.T. 260) as Dr. S. Prakasam relocated. The service which was taking place in a private residential quarter soon needed more prominent and permanent Church building to accommodate the growing congregation.
Then, in 1970, Missionary Rev. Dr. Tracy G. Gipson (Chairman of the Evangelism Committee, STBC) and Rev R.M. Premanandam (Evangelism Committee Secretary) spearheaded the purchase of the present land with existing residential quarters.
On 28th November 1971, the Baptist Church Sanath Nagar was founded by the Samavesam of Telugu Baptist Churches, Nellore, on the recommendation of the City Baptist Churches Association, Secunderabad and on the recommendations of Rev. Dr. Tracy G. Gipson, Pastor M. Joshua took charge as the first pastor.
In the year 1971 itself, the Church was affiliated with CBCA Secunderabad. With this, we have joined the league of reputed Churches such as Centenary Baptist Church Secunderabad, Ram Nagar Baptist Church, Lalaguda Baptist Church, and Baptist Church Hyderabad. The Telugu Baptist Samavesham has named the Church as Baptist Church Sanathnagar.
With the need for further expansion, Dr. Rev. Raymond W Beaver (Regional Secretary, Board of International Ministries, USA) laid the foundation for the new Sanctuary on 5th January 1975. Soon, with the cheerful contributions of members and under the technical supervision of Sri J A Murray (Chief Engineer, Govt of A.P), the new Sanctuary was completed at the cost of 5Lakhs and dedicated for God’s Glory on 9th December 1984 by Rev. William Scott, (Missionary Representative, Board of Renewal Ministries of American Baptist Churches, U.S.A)
Our Founding Fathers
Honoring our founder fathers who are the bedrock of our Church:
- Dr. S. Prakasham
- Mr. M J Aaron
- Mr. Peter Sarella
- Mr. V Immanuel
- Mr. Ch. Devanandam
- Mr. MS Christopher
We also faithfully acknowledge the selfless services of all the following members who have joined with the 6 Six founding members and many believers who have richly contributed to various capacities for the development of our Church:
- Mr. P Israel
- Mr. K Benjamin
- Mr. J D David
- Mr. G Albert
- Mr. K Srinivas Rao
- Mr. A Sumantha Rao
- Mr. P E Zekariah
- Mr. P Robert Joseph and his brothers
- Mr. R Purushotham
- Mr. S Venkataratnam
- Mr. S Stevenson
- Mr. V M Charles
- Mr. R P Richard
- Mr B James
- Mr. Broomfield
- Mr. T Wilson
- Mr. J S Victor
- Mr. Y Jeevanamdam
- Mr. B Lakshmaiah
- Mr K Deva Priyam
- Mr E Elia
- Mr Amram
- Mr. V Elia
- Mr. A Sanjeeva Rao
It has been conducted worship service in the existing residential building. As the congregation grew from strength, it was felt necessary to have a separate Church building for worship. After many years the foundation for new Sanctuary was laid by Dr. Rev. Raymond W Beaver, the then Regional Secretary, Board of International Ministries, U.S.A. on 5th January, 1975. The members of the congregation have contributed liberally beyond their ability and we could complete the New Sanctuary in shell shape which is first of its kind by December, 1984 with a cost of Rs. 5.00 Lakhs under the technical supervision of Sri J A Murray, the then Chief Engineer (Genl.), Government of A.P. The New Sanctuary was completed and dedicated on 9th December, 1984 by Rev. William Scott., Missionary Representative, Board of Renewal Ministries of American Baptist Churches, U.S.A. for the Glory of God.
50 Years of GOD’s Work
Six families came together to form a spiritual community. From that humble beginning, we are now a strong congregation of more than 200 families, and it comprises members residing in Punjagutta, Banjara Hills, Blue Moon, RBI Colony, Begumpet, Rehmath Nagar, A G Colony, Vengal Rao Nagar, Erragadda, Bharat Nagar, Prashanthi Nagar, Sunder Nagar of the twin cities and other surrounding areas.
As the Church began to thrive in various wings such as – Youth, Sunday School, Women, and outreach, there was a greater need for a bigger sanctuary to accommodate the growing members. With God’s provision and generous contributions from the members, the foundation for the new sanctuary was laid by Rev. Benjamin S L Chan, Area Director International Ministries American Baptist Convention, USA on 5th November 2006. The present structure, which can house 800+ members, was dedicated to the glory of God on 10th June 2012 by Rev. Taku Longkumer.
We are now a big family of more than 1000 Baptists and 24 outreach centers, and the numbers are increasing every month. Banking on God’s provision, presence, and promises, coupled with the vision of elders and the faithful work of our Pastors, we look to the future with greater enthusiasm to build God’s kingdom.
- Holy Communion is being conducted on every Sunday before worship-service.
- All night prayers are being held on the night of Friday (before second Saturday) every month. Special prayers will be offered for the sick and also uphold the services of different organizations for the extension of the kingdom of God.
- We have constituted an out-reach Gospel Committee to survey and identify the places where Baptist centers could be opened to cater the spiritual needs of the people.
- Baptisms will be given on the last Saturday of every month.
- The Church is conducting Revival meetings, Gospel meetings, Retreats etc., for the benefit of the church members.
- The Church is conducting Sunday school with the help of Sunday School Superintendent for Children.
- God has given talented Youth to the Church. They conduct their meetings on Sundays after worship service and choir practice on Saturday every week in addition to attending other Church Programs.
- The Women’s Committee meets every Sunday after worship service. They participate in all night prayers. They conduct special meetings and extend co-operation in prayers to get the church program success.
Founding Members of BCS
Pastors Served BCS
- Rev. M. Joshua 08-08-1971 to 31-03-1980
- Late Rev. M.J. Subba Rao 25-05-1980 to 12-12-1983
- Rev. R.M. Premanandam 06-11-1984 to 20-12-1985
- Late Rev. C.S. Bhasker 20-04-1986 to 10-07-1988
- Rev. G. Ch. Lazarus 24-12-1988 to 04-01-1993
- Rev. N. Michael Prasad 01-04-1994 to 31-03-2023
- Rev. G. Shalem Kamalaker 01-02-2015 to 31-10-2017
- Rev. Dr. K. Daniel Solomon, the present Pastor has assumed charge as a Pastor on 1st June, 2018 and striving hard for the development of the Church.